I teach a ninth grade girls class on Sunday mornings and this week we began a study on I Peter. We only went over the first two verses, but man, was I convicted! Peter refers to God's children as temporary residents, strangers in the word. As I was preparing my lesson, I began to think about that concept- being a temporary resident. I began to think about all the time and effort I put into decorating my earthly home: frequent trips to Home Goods, hours watching HGTV and clipping ideas from Better Home and Gardens. I sure do spend a lot of time preparing a place that will pass away. Now, I'm not saying taking care of your home is a bad thing. But I had to stop and ask myself, "How much time I am spending on preparing my eternal home, the one that isn't passing away, the one that lasts forever?" I knew the answer to that question, and it wasn't an answer I was proud of.
The second verse goes on to say that as Christians, we've been set apart for obedience and for sprinkling with the blood of Jesus Christ. In order to prepare for my home in Heaven, I first must be obedient. When I think about Christ's life here on earth, I think about the point he made to foster relationships with people. That is what I believe He was and is calling me to obey. And to be honest, that thought scares me a little bit. Believe it or not, I am actually a shy person. I was never very good at starting conversations and always felt a little uneasy when meeting new people. However, I know that is what Christ desires, and He deserves all of me. I must be intentional about my relationships with people and point them to Christ.
I just thought I'd share how Christ is working in my life lately. How is He working in yours?
Great thoughts, Kacie. I, too, have spent too much time this summer watching HGTV! I have been thinking also about looking at next (school) year as more of a ministry.
ReplyDelete