Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summer Reading

     As a teacher, one of things I love about the summer time is being able to read what I want.  It's hard to find time during the school year to read for pleasure when you're constantly reading essays, short stories, and novels with your students . By the end of the day, I am usually too drained to open a book. One of the books I looked forward to reading was The Jesus You Can't Ignore by John MacArthur. It was a very eye-opening and challenging read, as most MacArthur works seem to be.

      This book takes you inside the relationship Jesus had with the Pharisees. It also helped me understand certain passages of Scripture that I really struggled with (hardening of hearts, speaking in parables so only the disciples could understand, and the haunting verses of Matthew 7:21-23) by providing context as to what was occurring during that time. I didn't understand why Jesus wouldn't want people to understand His truth and why He had hardened hearts so people couldn't believe.  Through this book, however, I learned that Jesus always spoke the truth in love to those to were repentant and eager to listen. Jesus was not interested in half-hearted followers-those just looking for a show of miracles or in what why Jesus could benefit their lives like a magic genie. He was always compassionate, but his concern was for the truth.

     The book also focused on modern day church culture and how most Christians are more concerned about not offending someone than upholding the truth of God's word. Sometimes it's wrong to be nice if error is at hand or people are being led astray by false or watered-down teaching. The Pharisees knew the law, but they used it for their own personal gain by twisting its message. Satan's most powerful agents were found in the church- and are probably still there today. Jesus knows our inmost thoughts, desires, and motives and he demands that they all be pure.

I believe this quote sums up the message and purpose of The Jesus You Can't Ignore:


     "No preacher has ever been more bold, prophetic, or provocative.  No style of public ministry could possibly be more irkson to those who prefer a comfortable religion. Jesus made it impossible for any hearer to walk away indifferent.  Some left angry; some were deeply trouble by what He had to say; many had their eyes opened; and many more hardened their hearts against His message. Some became His disciples, and others became His adversaries. But  no one who listened to Him preach for very long could possibly remain unchanged or apathetic (162)."

No comments:

Post a Comment